Monday, 4 February 2013

BirchBox | January 2013



I am fully aware that I am quite late to jump on this bandwagon, considering it is the 4th February and I am only just posting about the January box. However, this is something I have planned for a while but simply not had the time to do it. 

I decided to try out BirchBox (formerly JolieBox) to see what it was all about and to see if it was any better than GlossyBox (which I have also reviewed here) as I really like the idea. My BirchBox arrived shortly after my GlossyBox and, as I had really enjoyed my GB (GlossyBox), I had high hopes for the BB (BirchBox).

The box included:

KMS California Add Volume Volumizing Spray - When I first saw this product, I was quite excited. This is because I have quite thin hair with not much volume, so I am always on the look-out for various volumising sprays, mousses and gels. I was, unfortunately, disappointed with this one as it left my hair looking and feeling greasy. It made little to no difference in the volume of my hair, and it doesn't even really smell that nice! For the full size, it is £14.85, however, I will not be purchasing it.



Reverence de Bastien Unguent for nails and cuticles - This is another product which I look out for. My nails are quite brittle and break easily, so I am always tempted to buy the different nail strengthening items but never have done because they are always really expensive. This product has actually made a difference to my nails. After just a few applications, my nails were already looking healthier. You hardly need any of the product on each nail so it will last me a long time and it has a nice smell. At £15.50 for the full tube, I may consider buying it, but that wouldn't be for a while as this small tester will last.


WEI Royal Ming Firming And Hydrating Cream - This was another disappointing product in the box. After using it just three times, I had used it all up. Yes, I am fully aware this is just the tester product, however, there wasn't enough of it for me to notice any difference to my skin. It claims to firm and hydrate the skin but it didn't really do anything if I am honest. Perhaps if I was older and needed to 'combat all the signs of ageing', it might actually DO something, and as the full size is £74(!!!!!!) there is absolutely no way I am sorting out getting myself some!




Sugar Rosé Lip Treatment - This is perhaps my favourite item from the box, and certainly the one I have been using the most. It instantly hydrates my lips and adds a slight hint of red to them, making it ideal for nights out when my lips are dry and my lipstick has all but come off. It smells really nice, feels really nice, and, with the built-in SPF 15, I know it will protect my lips in the sun. The full size is £15.50, which is a lot for lip balm, especially as there are other, cheaper brands that claim to do the same thing. So I don't think I will be purchasing it, which is a shame as I really enjoying it.

My overall view on the box? I have been a little disappointed as I only liked half the products, and they are too expensive for me to continue using. I have sadly cancelled my subscription with BirchBox as £10 (+p&p) is a lot for products that I don't enjoy using. For these reasons among others, I am continuing my GlossyBox subscription which I have reviewed HERE!


Have you tried BirchBox? What is your opinion?



Disclaimer: This post was not sponsored!
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. I wonder if there are things like Birchbox and Glossybox in South Africa - since moving here I've been extremely deprived of my fav things such as Topshop, Primarks, Starbucks and a white Christmas!

    Really lovely goodie bag. Glad you're enjoying at least some of your items x

    www.bohemianmuses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There should be something at least similar! There's no Topshop?! Haha thank you :) xx

      Delete
  2. thanks for commenting on my blog!yours is darling too! i'm so obsessed with the sugar lip balm - so yummy!
    i'm now following you on gfc - hope you do the same xx
    www.vicariousLA.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovin' your blog, so much so I'm now following :)
    xxx
    http://glitzandgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you :) Same to you :)
      Jess xx

      Delete
  4. I wish I could get Birchbox but they don't send it in Canada but I ordered Glossybox for this month so I can't wait for mine to come in by the mail!!
    Love the blog! Following you!
    xx

    http://the-astyle.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I get to know your blog and I loved it. I became his follower to follow all the news! If you have a little time to spend with me visit my blog and follow me if you like :)

    www.todacharmosa.com

    I also created a new channel on You Tube, I'll be very happy if you subscribe to accompany me:

    http://www.youtube.com/pathymakeup

    kisses ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) It means a lot that people like what I write :) yeah I have followed back and subscribed to your channel :) I also have a youtube channel and it would be great if you checked it out (only if you want to of course!) :)
      Jess xx

      Delete
  6. Hey, i've tagged you for the Liebster award, check out my blog for the information :)
    xx

    http://be-lieveinyou-rself.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been wanting the sugar rose lip treatment for awhile now.

    -Haley-
    haleyvalerie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

© JessicaLouise. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig